MDE21511 - Likely destroyed hut circle southeast of Castle Rock, Valley of Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
One of three circular features shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, annotated 'Hut Circles'. This feature is drawn with an 11 metre diameter. It may already have been partially disturbed by a track shown clipping the circle's southeastern side. This feature has been cut through by a modern roundabout and all that is now discernible are a few stones, probably the remains of its east side.  The feature could not be located on the ground during survey work. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 November 1993.
- <4> SEM6888 Report: Jamieson, E.. 1999. The Valley of Rocks, Lynton & Lynmouth, North Devon. P.4-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7049 4969 (22m by 25m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53767
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/28/2
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.