MDE21502 - Undated lynchets on Kentisbury Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Bank clearly visible on National Monument Record aerial photograph dating to 1979.  Lynchet or vestigial terrace running across field on northwest slope of Kentisbury Down. Natural or manmade? Indications suggest manmade; difference in soil colour after ploughing between edge of terrace and ground at foot. Also appears to be short sunken way leading above to below terrace, cutting through edge.  A pair of very spread and amorphous lynchet scarps (up to 0.7 metres in height) lying within an area of enclosed land on Kentisbury Down. Kentisbury Down was enclosed sometime between 1840 and the 1880s; before enclosure, it is depicted on the Kentisbury Tithe Map as an area of featureless moorland. Surveyed at 1:2500. [3-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6343:SF1460/213 (7 March 1979).
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 102 (1970), 246 (31st Report on Archaeology and Early History).
- <3> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM8548 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1848. Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award. Unknown.
- <5> SMO4799 Survey: Kentisbury, barrow and lynchet at SS 64 SW 19 + 22 . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 February 1993.
|Grid reference||SS 6315 4389 (point)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 51298
- Devon SMR: MDE1094
- Devon SMR: MDE20120
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/160
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 4:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.