MDE21463 - Marcia Mine in Pulsworthy Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Marcia Mine. Adit and shaft in Pulsworthy Wood. Probably for iron, date unknown.  Least of 1873 refers to a mine at Pulsworthy. Probably the "Marcia Mine" referred to in 1876. Remains lie overgrown in a young plantation. No trace of leats, wheelpits or buildings. SS 7862 3002. The sites of 2 infilled shafts were indentifiable in 1977. A possible third was located nearby.  "Old Shaft" is depicted at the above location on the 6 inch 1903 and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [3,4] The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map dows not depict or label the shaft.  The 25 inch 2nd Edition map depicts the old shaft at SS 7862 3003. N.B. The GIS mapping for this record has been positioned here to reflect this; however, the remains within the wood are likely to extend over a large area. [6,7] A site visit in 1992 noted shafts and spoil, with nine workings and an entrance from Mill Steep.  Worked for iron in 1874-76, possibly in conjunction with Poltimore Iron Mine, North Molton.  Remains of Marcia Iron Mine worked between 1873 and 1876 and is thought to have produced at least 400 tonnes of iron ore. The surface remains are now ill defined and have been disturbed by infilling and tree planting. They now consist of an adit and at least two shafts and related spoil heaps.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SDE66180 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1974. Metalliferous mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. Vol 5, Part 1. 9.
- <1> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 203, 291, 293.
- <3>XY SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 15SE. [Mapped feature: #33822 ]
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 12 February 2019.
- <8> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A59, 23 June 1992.
- <9> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 125.
- <10> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Chapman, 22 February 1995.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1053790, Extant 5 October 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7862 3003 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1053790 (Pastscape entry: 1053790)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19862
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46918
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/544
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/544/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE13266
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20894
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE43
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1053790
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 11:08AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.