MDE21462 - Adit 11, Florence Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Adit 11, Florence Mine (MDE20058). 200 yards northeast of North Lode (MDE21688). Now blocked.  An adit shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition in 1889. It now lies in neglected woodland forming part of the New Florence Iron Mine. It is overgrown byt has an opening which issues water. To the west is a flat topped spoil mound which is scrub covered. [2,3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 268.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, 15(7). [Mapped feature: #47568 ]
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 February 1993.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097017, Extant 5 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7550 3243 (51m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46917
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/504/21
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE14799
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE16
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097017
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 11:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.