MDE21424 - Old Engine Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Old Engine Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Mine western section. Shown on section drawing of 1772. It made a direct link between the Thirty Fathom Adit (entirely below ground) and the surface, and its mouth was positioned halfway up the valley side near the entrance to the Top Adit (MDE21425). Probably the site of the western water engine referred to by Kahlmeter in 1725. [1-3] The HER GIS mapping for this record had been placed at SS 739 326. This was misleadingly situated on the eastern side of the river, whereas the map mentioned above clearly illustrates the entrance to the adit positioned on the western side of the Mole, positioned up the slope above a slightly level area above the river. The mapping for this record has therefore been moved, although the exact location of the shaft is still not clear. [1,4]
- <1>XY SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 113, 114. [Mapped feature: #33785 109]
- <2> SDE60687 Collection: Unknown. Unknown. Translation of J. Kahlmeter's relation of the English mines in 1725. Rhys Jenkins Papers. Record Office Collection.
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 16 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 7374 3277 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46864
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/25
Record last edited
Apr 16 2019 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.