MDE21422 - South House Shaft and Top Adit at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
South House Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Mine. Linked with Top Adit which joined the valley just below it. Both are depicted on a section drawing of the site dated 1772 and the 1868 Inventory section. From these plans, it would appear they emerged at a point near the base of the slope upwards from the valley floor. The adit emerged beneath the level of the leat and site of the shaft is marked by a small depression in the slope above the former leat. The site of the adit entry has been blocked but can be easily estimated. [1,2]SW
- <1>XY SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 111, 224, 229. [Mapped features: #33783 Adit entry, 224; #46013 South House Shaft, 224]
- <2> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7389 3278 (6m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33711
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46862
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/20
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/23
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21230
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 12:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.