MDE21420 - Toby's Shaft and Hewitts Land Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Site of Toby's Shaft and Hewitts Lands Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Copper Mine.  A plan of 1772 depicts two shafts between the engine shaft and the river called Toby's Shaft (c.24 fathoms) and Hewitts Winds (c.15 fathoms) respectively, with a sizeable worked area between them. They are not shown on a section of the site drawn in 1868 and are likely lost below the spoil heaps to the west of Engine Shaft (MDE21231).  Section drawing showing location of Toby's Shaft dated 1772.  This site was mapped at SS 737 327 (data from Devon HER); however, the evidence from  suggests the shafts were in the area around c.SS 7385 3274. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2>XY SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 111, 230. [Mapped feature: #45982 Suggested location of site, ]
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 10 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 738 327 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46860
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/18
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 11:19AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.