MDE21419 - Bampfylde Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bampfylde Shaft. Bampfylde Copper Mine.  Shown on plan of 1868. Site survives as a small mound of spoil.  Site of 'Shaft' shown on 25 inch Ordnance Survey map as a small circular feature.  Site of 'Old Shaft' shown on 1905 25 inch Ordnance Survey map as a small circular feature in a larger circular enclosure c.13 metres diameter.  Shown at SS 7382 3269 on a sketch map of the site drawn in 1989, although this appears to be a mislabelling of the powder store. [5,6]
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SDE322502 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 233. 232.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <5> SDE60671 Unpublished document: Claughton, P.F.. 1989. Mining sites in North Devon, Bampfylde.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 10 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7378 3267 (22m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46859
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/17
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.