MDE21416 - Second Field Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Second Field Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Copper Mine.  In the eastern section of Bampfylde Mine. The site is shown on a 1772 section drawing of the site, also showing a small drift being driven to the east. The shaft lay just forty fathoms (80 yards) short of the full extent of the eastern workings which therefore ended before the eastern hedge of the field. It lay too far east to be included in the section of the mine drawn in the 1868 inventory. The shaft is clearly visible as a disturbance in the field with a pile of rubbish as infilling nears completion.  Section drawing showing location of Second Field Shaft dated 1772.  Site of a circular depression around 10 metres in diameter on the northern side of a former field boundary. Shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4,5] This shaft is clearly visible on aerial photographs of the area which were examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2009. [6-8]
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 110, 226, 228.
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3442-43 (15 April 1946).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3380-81 (11 April 1947).
- <8> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7411 3277 (44m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35097 (Pastscape entry: 35097)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46856
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/14
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW8
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35097
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 9:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.