MDE21415 - First Field Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
First Field Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Copper Mine.  In eastern section of Bampfylde Mine. It is shown in a 1772 section drawing of the site, reaching the Top Adit twenty fathoms below. It was too far east to be shown in the 1868 inventory of the site. It is visible as an area of disturbed ground near the hedge.  Site of a depression shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps on the eastern side of the field boundary. [3,4] Section drawing showing location of First Field Shaft, dated 1772. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2>XY SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 110, 226, 228. [Mapped feature: #46007 224]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <5> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7406 3278 (31m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46855
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/13
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 9:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.