MDE21414 - Middle House Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Middle House Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Copper Mine.  In eastern section of Bampfylde Mine. It is depicted in a section of the site published in 1772, where it is shown reaching into the bottoms of the mine at 50 fathoms or 300 feet deep, as it also is on the 1868 inventory drawing. The shaft remains as a rectangular hole, around 6 feet square, at the centre of a depression.  Section drawing showing location of Middle House Shaft, dated 1772.  Site of a 'Shaft' depicted on the 25 inch 1889 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as a large subcircular depression around 18 metres in diameter.  The 25 inch 1905 2nd Edition map labels the feature as an 'Old Shaft' and depicts it as a small circular feature within a larger earthwork.  This shaft is clearly visible on aerial photographs of the area which were examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2009. [6-8] The feature is also depicted on 2018 Ordnance Survey MasterMap data at SS 7402 3279, within a subdivided area within Long Wood. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 110, 224, 228.
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3442-43 (15 April 1946).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3380-81 (11 April 1947).
- <8> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
- <9>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46008 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7402 3279 (32m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35097 (Pastscape entry: 35097)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46854
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/12
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW8
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35097
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 9:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.