MDE21413 - Crushed Platt Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Crushed Platt Shaft. Part of Bampfylde Copper Mine.  In eastern section of Bampfylde Mine. Is is shown on a 1772 section of the site and the 1868 Inventory plan of the site. Pryce advises that "PLOT (Vulgo Plat)" is an area beside a load or shaft reserved for bringing up the "deads" (useless rock) to the surface; this suggests this shaft and "Crushed Platt Winds" below was the exit for spoil that could not remain in the mine. This shaft only reached down to the adit and is marked by an area of recently disturbed ground, possibly due to the removal of the old dumps.  Section drawing showing location of Plat Shaft dated 1772.  The site of a subcircular spoil heap is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map to the east of the track.  This shaft is clearly visible on aerial photographs of the area which were examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2009. [5-7] The site of the mine is shown as subdivided from Long Wood on the 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 109, 110, 111, 224, 229.
- <3> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 2-7.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3442-43 (15 April 1946).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3380-81 (11 April 1947).
- <7> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
- <8>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46009 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7397 3279 (45m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46853
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/11
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW8
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35097
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 10:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.