MDE21411 - 19th Century adit at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Adit at Bampfylde Mine.  A new and probably separate series of workings was opened on the western side of the hill in the mid 19th Century. At SS 7379 3278, the adit entry can be seen at the foot of the hill a little north of the line of dumps. The opening is three feet six inches wide with a lintel following the lie of the rock inclining to the south. The average height is about five feet. The tunnel may be blocked after a short distance.  The site of a subcircular feature is shown on the 25 inch 1889 Ordnance Survey map.  The adit is not depicted on the 25 inch 1905 2nd Edition map. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2>XY SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 224, 231, 232. [Mapped feature: #33772 224]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
|Grid reference||SS 7380 3278 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46851
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/9
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 10:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.