MDE21410 - Number 3 Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
No 3 Shaft, Bampfylde Mine.  A new and probably separate series of workings was opened on the western side of the hill in the mid 19th Century. Sunk on the brow of the hill, this is shown on the section of the 1868 inventory as being 60 fathoms or 360 feet deep. Shown on 1868 Ordnance Survey map, but apparently infilled by 1903, when the map was revised. The site is marked by disturbed ground.  Site of a small circular feature labelled 'Shaft' on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map with a path to the east.  The shaft is no longer depicted on the 2nd Edition map. 
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 231, 233.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7369 3277 (17m by 16m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46850
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/8
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 12:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.