MDE21400 - Post-medieval pond at head of Chisel Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Pond. Now derelict. Square in plan with dry stone revetments inside and outside three embanked sides. Site No 100272.  Pond shown on the 1st edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps as rectilinear feature 16 metres by 13 metres with a revetment around the northwest and west sides and a field boundary to the northeast.  The 1903/1938 6 inch Ordnance Survey map show a square feature marked 'Spring'.  The pond still appears to be extant. 
- <1> SEM7047 Report: Thackray, D. + Thackray, C.. 1986. Lynmouth: Foreland Point, Countisbury Hill & Watersmeet, Devon. 14.
- <2> SDE336179 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1880s-1890s. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map.
- <3> SDE325714 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1938. 3NW & SW. Revision of 1903 with additions in 1938. Provisional Edition. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7446 4951 (19m by 13m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46124
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/211
- National Trust HER Record: MNA108031
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 10:36AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.