MDE21389 - Captain's House at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Bampfylde Mine. Site of mine captain's house.  The house is partly visible in a photograph of the site dating to approximately 1870, which may also include Captain Pope and his family. An 1868 inventory of the site describes a "fine and commodious house". The site of the house was noted as a pile of rubble, with little evidence of the former walls during a site visit. It was apparently extant in 1980s and was described as a "fine house," which had been occupied by Captain Pope. Its plan can be seen on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map . The roof and chimnies of this building and its outbuildings can be seen behind the main shears and wheel in the 1870 photograph.  A large rectangular building is shown on the 25 inch 1889 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map with a very irregular shaped structure to the west. A 'well' and two rectangular buildings are shown to the north and northeast. The complex is in an irregular shaped enclosure to the east of the river.  The site of the building is clearly visible on aerial photographs of the area which were examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2009.
- <1> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 179-180, 181, 224, 245.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3442-43 (15 April 1946).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3380-81 (11 April 1947).
- <6> SMO7577 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SW. MD002194.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7385 3279 (21m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46112
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/2
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 12:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.