MDE21296 - Group of chest tombs, headstones and footstones in St Petrock's Churchyard (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- Conservation Area: Parracombe Conservation Area
- Listed Building (II) 1306606: GROUP OF 7 CHEST TOMBS AND 2 HEADSTONES WITH ACCOMPANYING FOOTSTONES CIRCA 3-10 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF CHURCH OF ST PETROCKS
- Principal Archaeological Landscape 46: Medieval field systems and settlement activity around Parracombe
7 chest tombs and two headstones with accompanying footstones, dating to the 18th and early 19th Century. The chest tombs have ashlar plinths, except one which has a brick plinth and one is rendered. All have slate slabs with incised decoration. The gravestones are also of slate. The tomb of Mary Lock (died 1716) and members of the Crang family has a cherubs bust to the head and an hour glass and skull and cross bones to the base, with headstone affixed to east end with inscription to sons and daughters of Richard Crang. Tomb of John Crang (died 1793) and wife (died 1819) with figure of angel blowing a trumpet to head. Tomb of John Crang (died 1833) and other members of his family by Nichols, with similar motif to head. Tomb of Francis Lock (died 1712) and family with angels bust to head, skull and hour glass to base. Tomb of Elizabeth Blackmore (died 1759) and other members of Blackmore and Dovell families with urns to top corners. Tomb of Samuel Blackmore (died 1846) and family by Watts. Tomb to Eleanor Blackmore (died 1831) and family also by Watts with angel figure blowing trumpet to head. Headstones with accompanying footstones with inscriptions to Richard Crang (died 1802) and to Richard and Elizabeth Blackmore (died 1842 and 1832 respectively).  The group was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The tombs received a BAR score of 5A and the gravestones a score of 4A.  The "Watts" mentioned in the listing description may refer to the noteworthy maker of Victorian monuments George Frederick Watts, but this is by no means certain. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 73.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 12.
|Grid reference||SS 6746 4493 (point) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1544/6/124/8
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1544/6/124/9
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/4
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/5
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/6
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/124/7
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37658
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/12/7
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.