MDE21292 - Group of post-medieval chest tombs at St Petrock's Churchyard (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Group of 4 chest tombs. Late 18th Century and early 19th Century. Brick plinths with slate slabs. Tomb of Grace Parminter Lock (died 1851) and family. Tomb to Richard Dovell (died 1793) and family by Watts. Urns to head flanking figure of angel blowing trumpet. Tombs to Robert Partridge (died 1838) and family and to Jane (died 1834) and William Dovell (died 1835) both by Nichols with similar design to the heads.  The group was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. One received a BAR score of 4A; the rest received a score of 5A.  The "Watts" mentioned in the listing description may refer to the noteworthy maker of Victorian monuments George Frederick Watts, but this is by no means certain. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 74.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 12.
|Grid reference||SS 6745 4493 (point) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1544/6/128/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/128/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/128/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/128/4
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37654
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/12/11
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.