MDE21268 - Twitchen Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Twitchen Mill. The waterwheel does not survive, but its estimated diameter is 18ft by 4ft 6in wide. There are two pairs of stones. The machinery was sold as scrap during the Second World War. Some small tools and equipment survive and many old stones are reused in thhe walls, floors and steps. Water came from a large pond a quarter of a mile above the mill and from a smaller pond just above the buildings. There was a second leat, now blocked up. The owner said that these two ponds could hold all the water coming down the valley in dry weather and stop the lower mills working until water was released. The mill house exists and adjoins the granary; the latter is used as a store. It is believed that this mill replaces one pulled down about 1875, and was last used in 1938. It was noted in the district for its good quality flour. The earlier mill was said to be about 500 years old Visited 1974 (1) Only the main shaft is left in the wall of the house. Three millstones are nearby. The original leat ran alongside the shaft and was only found by the present owners after much excavation. Nearby are the remains of a forge and a cobbler's shop, where a pile of 100 boots were found. The leat is in good condition but has been diverted away from the house and no longer serves the mill. (2) Twitchen Mill, a two storey stone structure which has been converted into living accommodation. The lower storey still contains substantial beams and timbers. To the east of the mill building is a wheelpit measuring 5.4m by 1.3m. Water was supplied via a leat and supply pond. (3) 'Corn Mill' marked on 1880-s1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map and also on 1905 6 inch map. 'Mill' shown on 1962 6 inch map. (6) No 105 (7) Documentary reference to Twitchen Mill in 1822. Leat still live but now a bankside feature. Building now converted. Remains of wheelshaft in situ. (8)
- <1> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 51.
- <2> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. 65. A5 Paperback. 105.
- <3> SDE338217 Index: NMR. Unknown. SS73SE24. NMR Index.
- <4> SDE335670 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 15SE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map.
- <5> SDE338218 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1962. SS73SE. Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map.
- <6> SDE336179 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1880s-1890s. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map.
- <7> SDE305931 Report: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 35.
- <8> SDE325576 Report: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. 158. Draft. 266.
|Grid reference||SS 7879 3010 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon HER Monument External Reference: SS73SE24
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33943
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/551
Record last edited
Oct 28 2009 11:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.