MDE21267 - 19th Century smithy at Twitchen Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A smithy is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. It is also shown on the six inch 1905 2nd Edition and six inch 1962 Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] The building is shown on the 2021 MasterMap data, but is not labelled.  The building is not shown on the Twitchen Tithe Map. It is within an area shown as a large open space, part of the routeway through the settlement. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 15SE.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47581 ]
- <5> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7879 3011 (10m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33942
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/552
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 3:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.