MDE21265 - Two Quarries at Ball Bottom Bridge, Twitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two quarries are marked as 'Old quarry' on historic mapping. (1, 2, 3) Ball Bottom. Limestone. Operated by South Molton RDC in 1937, employing 4 people. (4) Site is close to Ball Bottom Bridge and is probably that referred to by Bowman, although the 1962 Ordnance Survey map shows another quarry c.250 metres north-north-east. (5)
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. Sheet 15SE.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SDE71598 Monograph: Bowman, A.C.. 1998. British Quarrying History.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Dick, A. Devon County Council Historic Environment Record. 05/07/1988.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7824 3055 (80m by 81m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33940
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/554
Record last edited
Sep 28 2010 12:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.