MDE21234 - Adit 12 at Florence Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An earthwork feature is shown but not marked on the 6 inch 1903 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and the 6 inch 1963 map. [1,2] Adit 12, Florence Mine. Approx 400 yards to the southwest of Shaft D. Remains open, with entry five feet eight inches high and four feet wide. It was possibly driven in order to test the lode at this point.  The feature is also depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 15NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 268.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7485 3172 (20m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33715
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/6/1
Record last edited
Apr 17 2019 1:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.