MDE21231 - Engine Shaft at Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
'Old Shaft' shown on 6 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and 1963 6 inch maps.[1,2] Part of Bampfylde Mine. See MDE1219 for details. Engine Shaft. At least 264 feet deep and, almost certainly, the site of an engine referred to in 1725 (see Liverpool University Library). Exact site is indiscernible, possible having been infilled during dump removal.  In recent years this area has been much disturbed, partly by unqualified attempts at 'excavation'. Recent collapse has exposed a section of what appears to be the bob wall of an engine house, at circa SS 7387 3275. It is proposed that this shall be properly recorded by the Exmoor Mines Research Group.  Section drawing showing location of Old Shaft dated 1772.  1725 reference to "two works. On both sides of the River Moule," run by the Bristol Company. Water engines had been erected by this time, one powered by a 30 foot waterwheel. The two portions of the mine were 30 fathoms and 40 fathoms deep.  Engine Shaft.  Site of 'Shaft' shown on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as a small square feature on the south side of the field boundary with a U shaped feature to the southwest.  Site of 'Old Shaft' shown on 25 inch 2nd Edition map as a small round feature in a small rectilinear enclosure with a large irregular shaped depression to the south, up to 17 metres long by up to 17 metres wide. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 15NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 111, 230.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, FM Griffith and Bowman, 1994.
- <5> SDE322563 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1992. The North Molton Copper mine; riches in the west. North Devon Heritage Journal. 4. 6. 6.
- <6> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <6> SDE60687 Collection: Unknown. unknown. Translation of J. Kahlmeter's relation of the English mines in 1725. Rhys Jenkins Papers. Record Office Collection.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7387 3274 (25m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33712
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/19
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 3:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.