MDE21229 - No 4 Shaft, Bampfylde Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Old Shaft' shown on the 2nd Edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map and the 1963 6 inch map. [1,2] No 4 Shaft. Approx 924 feet deep. Part of boiler house visible.  This shaft was the centre of the mine's last hopes of a copper revival in the 1860s. 20 fathoms deep by 1856. Ultimately reached 157 fathoms (942 feet) deep. Still clearly visible, c.10 feet square. At the time of survey it had recently become precariously choked with old cars.  Site of an irregular shaped feature shown on 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map on the south side of the field boundary.  Site of 'Old Shaft' shown on 25 inch 2nd Edition map as a small round feature in a depression c.14 metres diameter to the south of the irregular shaped feature shown on the 1st Edition map . 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 15NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SDE322524 Report: Dixon, D.. 1978. Report of visit to Bampfylde Copper Mine. Site visit.
- <4> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 111, 233.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7356 3273 (18m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33710
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/3/21
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.