MDE21216 - Post-medieval quarry north of South Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Old Close Quarry' is shown on the 1905 6 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  'Old Quarry' shown on 163 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.  N.B. Sources  and  were transcribed by the Devon SMR/HER Team. However, Old Close Quarry is recorded separately (MDE21227) and is located within grid square SS74SW; the original Devon SMR reference for this site is SS64SE/168 and the site is recorded at c. SS 6985 4074. It therefore appears that the original record appears to confuse the feature recorded on the historic maps as an old quarry with Old Close Quarry, which is further to the northeast (this may be the result of a mapreading error). An old quarry is mapped and labelled at SS 6984 4071 on the 2nd Edition map  but this is clearly not Old Close Quarry. GIS record polygonised to represent this information.  The old quarry site is labelled as an old quarry on the 25 inch 1st Edition map. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 10NE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 November 2019.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46378 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6984 4071 (32m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32592
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/168
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 11:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.