MDE21213 - Post-medieval quarry on Shoulsbarrow Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Old quarry' is shown and depicted on the 6 inch 2nd Edition (1905) Ordnance Survey map and the 6 inch (1963) map. [1,2] The "old quarry" is also shown and labelled on the 1st Edition 25 inch map.  The feature was noted on aerial photographs and described as a large, irregular quarried depression. [4-6]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 14/053 (May 1977).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4142 (April 1947).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6939C.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6991 3968 (91m by 57m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 32574
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/78
Record last edited
May 19 2020 1:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.