MDE21201 - 19th Century quarry adjacent to Lynton and Barnstaple Railway embankment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is depicted and labelled on the 6 inch 1905 Ordnance Survey map, adjacent to the embankment for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Line.  The quarry is also visible on 2018 MasterMap data, although it is not labelled.  The quarry is not shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The quarry almost certainly was in use to supply the construction material for the railway embankment. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 November 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6733 4415 (63m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31588
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/139
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 1:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.