MDE21200 - Post-medieval footbridge over River Heddon at A39 (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A foot bridge is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. It carries a footpath heading from the south towards Parracombe over the River Heddon. [1,2] The Devon SMR / HER noted that there was "No sign of footbridge on os 6" (1963) map" [3,4]. This is because this area was reorganised when the A39 was constructed through the site; it is not clear, but the bridge appears to have been removed when this occurred, before 1938. At this stage, the route of the waterway was moved and the site of the bridge buried under an embankment for the road. [5,6]
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #33712 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records.
- <5> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560. 1938.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 November 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 6750 4409 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31586
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31587
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/140
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/140/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21199
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.