MDE21196 - Post-medieval quarry within Holwell deserted medieval settlement (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An earthwork is depicted but not labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The site is labelled as an old quarry on the 6 inch 1905 2nd Edition and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] One of three irregular quarries marked in this area by the Ordnance Survey. Mapped from aerial photographs. [5-7] The earthwork remains of a settlement, with hollow and terraced ways, strip cultivation and quarrying are centred at SS 6680 4415 and date to the medieval or post-medieval period. A well defined, linear stone quarry is 2.8 metres deep and at the western edge of the field.  The earthwork was transcribed from aerial photographs as part of the larger settlement remains during the RCHME Aerial Photograph Primary Recording Project and the RCHME Parracombe Project survey (see MMO308). [9,10]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. DAP/HX 4,5 (30 January 1987).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/063 (May 1977).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4090 (April 1947).
- <7> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6644B.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <9> SEM7656 Unassigned: Miller, A.. 1995. AP Primary Recording Project. 7 December 1995.
- <10> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Parracombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6673 4417 (66m by 49m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=909923 (Pastscape entry: 909923)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21485
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31583
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/128
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/142
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20930
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE38
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909923
Record last edited
May 1 2019 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.