MDE21188 - Post-medieval quarry southwest of North Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Old Quarry' shown on 6 inch 2nd Edition 1905 Ordnance Survey map.  'Quarry (disused)' shown on 6 inch 1963 map.  The quarry is also depicted and described as old on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  McDonnell transcribed the earthworks of this quarry in the 1980s. It is described as one of five irregular quarried depressions in this area, and one of three that are shown on Ordnance Survey maps. [4-6]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6SE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #45888 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3141 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/123 (May 1977).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6741A.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6795 4107 (68m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31569
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/157
Record last edited
Feb 19 2019 12:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.