MDE21187 - Post-medieval quarrying on Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An aerial photograph taken in 1980 shows an area of ground disturbance here.  Historic mapping shows that the area was subject to quarrying. [2-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6943:SF1448/432 (23 April 1980).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <5> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6959 4331 (88m by 188m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21626
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31568
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/131
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/158
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20938
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 2:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.