MDE21176 - 19th Century field barn east of West Challacombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A field barn set in the northwest corner of the field. It is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but not on the 1843 Combe Martin Tithe Map. The coursed stone rubble building is 6.8 metres by 4 metres by 4 metres high at the front and 2 metres high at the rear. It has a slate roof and was restored in 2002. [1-3] The building is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data but is not labelled. 
- <1> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon. P. 12 and National Trust SMR Number 100934.
- <4>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38702 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5897 4753 (6m by 4m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148466 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148466)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65812
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/190
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148466
Record last edited
Dec 14 2020 1:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.