MDE21134 - Post-medieval quarry site southwest of Woody Bay Railway Station (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, the six inch 2nd Edition (1903) map and the 6 inch (1963) map. [1-3] A post-medieval extractive pit or stone quarry is visible as an earthwork in a field to the east of the A39. Centred at SS 6771 4613, the irregularly shaped quarry measures 36 metres long by 18 metres wide. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an old quarry, suggesting that it had been abandoned prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [1,4,5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 184 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #39592 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6771 4613 (43m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462773 (Pastscape entry: 1462773)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31421
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/101
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1811
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE99
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462773
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 12:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.