MDE21134 - Post-medieval quarry site southwest of Woody Bay Railway Station (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, the six inch 2nd Edition (1903) map and the 6 inch (1963) map. [1-3] A post-medieval extractive pit or stone quarry is visible as an earthwork in a field to the east of the A39. Centred at SS 6771 4613, the irregularly shaped quarry measures 36 metres long by 18 metres wide. It is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an old quarry, suggesting that it had been abandoned prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [1,4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 184 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #39592 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1462773, Extant 19 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6771 4613 (43m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462773 (Pastscape entry: 1462773)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31421
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/101
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1811
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE99
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1462773
Record last edited
Oct 19 2021 8:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.