MDE21133 - Post-medieval quarry site south of Woody Bay Station (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is shown on historic mapping. [1-3] A post-medieval extractive pit or stone quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in a field to the northeast of Killington Cross. Centred at SS 6789 4592, the quarry is oval shaped and measures 16 metres across. The ground surrounding it is slightly uneven, and this may be due to spoil dumping. The quarry is shown, but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map suggesting that it was abandoned prior to the publication of this map in 1889. [1, 3-4]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 184 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #40642 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6789 4593 (28m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462763 (Pastscape entry: 1462763)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31420
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/102
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1809
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE97
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462763
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 1:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.