MDE21132 - Post-medieval quarries north of Brakebrook (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An earthwork is depicted but not labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  'Old Quarries' are shown on the six inch 2nd Edition map.  'Quarries (Disused)' shown on the six inch 1963 map.  A post-medieval extractive pit or stone quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in a field to the northeast of Killington Cross. Centred at SS 6798 4587, the irregular shaped quarry measures a maximum of 26 metres long by 19 metres wide. The ground surrounding the quarry is somewhat uneven, and this may be the result of spoil dumping. It is shown but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that it was abandoned prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [1,4-5]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 6NE.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 184 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #46754 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6797 4587 (40m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31419
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/103
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1810
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE98
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462766
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.