MDE21125 - Post-medieval quarry north of Stony Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is depicted on the six inch 2nd Edition and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] A post-medieval extractive pit or stone quarry is visible on aerial photographs to the north of Stony Lane. Centred at SS 6825 4513, the quarry measures 25 metres long by 16 metres wide, and is slightly obscured by vegetation. It is depicted but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, as are several similar sized quarries. The other quarries and the name "Stony Lane" suggest that this area was heavily quarried, but abandoned prior to the publication of the map in 1889. [3-5]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 6NE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3310 (13 May 1946).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #44426 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6825 4513 (30m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31412
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/110
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1812
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE100
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1462774
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.