MDE21121 - Cross Stone Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
'Cross Stone Quarry' is shown within an area of quarrying on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and on the 6 inch map of 1963. [1-3] It is not clear which of the quarries in this area were included within Cross Stone Quarry and so all have been mapped together.  As part of the enclosure of Holdstone Down, plot 35 (3 acres) was awarded to the Surveyors of the Highways for Combe Martin, to be used as a public quarry for supplying stone and gravel for the repair of roads within the parish. This is now a car park. The operators of the quarry built a stone faced bank along the front part of the quarry, with the rest of their plot marked by a low stony bank joining the neighbouring plot's bank. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. C Dove, 3 September 2013.
- <5> SEM8239 Report: Riley, H.. 2015. Holdstone Down Inclosure Boundary and Marker Stones. 4, 9, 10 (feature HD3).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6236 4741 (177m by 78m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31408
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/70
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.