MDE21103 - Post-medieval quarry north of Coombe Girt (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An old quarry is depicted and labelled on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7689 4866.  The quarry is also depicted on the 6 inch 2nd Edition map and the 6 inch 1962 map. [2,3] The feature was noted by McDonnell on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [4,5] The feature is not shown on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7648a.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4043 (April 1947).
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7689 4866 (37m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31121
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/585
Record last edited
Apr 4 2018 9:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.