MDE21093 - Disputed post-medieval quarry at Rockford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Quarry' shown on the six inch 1903 2nd Edition and six inch 1962 Ordnance Survey maps at SS 7563 4773. [1-3] There is no record of a quarry at this location on the specified maps. It is not clear whether this record has arisen from an incorrect grid reference, which is sited in the centre of the East Lyn River. There are no quarries labelled in the near vicinity. [1,2,4]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 3SE and 3NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3>XY SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Devon Reference 31111. [Mapped feature: #33651 ]
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 13 January 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7563 4773 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31111
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/596
Record last edited
Jan 13 2021 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.