MDE21091 - Countisbury Mill, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Countisbury Mill (Disused)" is shown on the six inch 2nd Edition 1903 Ordnance Survey map. The leat is also shown.  "Countisbury Mill" is shown on the six inch 1962 map The leat is only partly shown.  SS 765 481. The machinery and the waterwheel (10 feet by 4 feet breast shot wheel) are long gone. The building is now just a house, renovated from the derelict mill over the years. The leat came across the meadow to the right of the house. It is now filled in, but a dip can be seen where the leat ran.  The site is shown on the Tithe Map for Countisbury. The mill buildings are labelled 381 (described as "The Mill and House" in the Apportionment) with a garden adjacent to the west (380), and the leat labelled 356 ("Mill Stream"). All are in the ownership and occupied by John Litson. The leat began at c. SS 7676 4825 on the East Lyn River and reentered downstream at SS 7645 4812.  The site is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The buildings are labelled "Countisbury Mill (Corn)" and the "Mill Leat" is also labelled. A weir and sluice are marked where the water is taken from the River at SS 7676 4825, and a further sluice is marked at c.SS 7654 4816, with a water channel here heading directly south from the leat here to the River.  Countisbury Mill is depicted and labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. The leat is not depicted, although parts may still be discerned in places.  The description "Countisbury Mill (Corn)" is applied on the 1st edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey mapping of 1889  to a building at SS 7655 4817. A leat is shown approaching the mill from the northnortheast where a sluice arrangement and weir are also shown on the East Lyn River. No field investigation undertaken. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 3SE and 3NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 55.
- <4> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. 37.
- <5> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devonshire 3(15). [Mapped feature: #46883 ]
- <7> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7661 4818 (327m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31108
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31109
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/598
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/599
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11936
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21090
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE29
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002036
Record last edited
Jan 13 2021 4:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.