MDE21062 - Lynbridge Smithy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A 'Smithy' is shown on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch (1903) map.  Building shown but unmarked on the the Ordnance Survey 6 inch (1962) map.  A site visit in 1974 noted that there was a blacksmith's shop attached to Lynbridge Mill.  Southwest of the mill at SS 7202 4860 there was an associated smithy with the smith's house next to it at SS 7203 4861. These are now dwelling houses called respectively 'The Forge' and Blacksmith's Cottage'.  The Tithe Map for Lynbridge shows a building in this location but it is not annotated. This building also shows on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but a building to the northeast, at SS 7203 4862 appears to have been labelled 'smithy' instead. This latter building does not appear on the Tithe Map and is no longer extant, though it does appear on the 2nd Edition map. [5,6,7]
- <1> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560. 1903.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 45.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7202 4860 (21m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926347 (Original Monarch entry: 926347)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31080
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/160
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW79
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926347
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.