MDE21060 - Weir at Lynton Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The weir is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and on the 6 inch (1903) map. [1-3] The weir is not shown on the 6 inch (1962) map.  There was previously a weir across the Lyn which headed up the water and diverted it into a culvert under the pathway to the launder discharging on the top of the wheel of Lynbridge Mill.  It seems possible that the weir was destroyed during the floods of 1952. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560. Sheet 3NW and SW.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 45.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
|Grid reference||SS 7202 4859 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31078
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/162
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.