MDE21055 - Brendon School, Straypark Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Brendon Tithe Map.  The school is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance survey maps and the 6 inch (1903) map. [2-4] The building is shown but not marked on the Ordnance survey 6 inch (1962) map.  The modern Ordnance Survey mapping (2013) shows that only part of the building is still extant; the southeasterly section (orientated northeast-southwest) appears to have been demolished. The house is now called 'Old School House'. According to the 1st Edition map, this section carried an Ordnance Survey bench mark on its northeastern gable. [6,2] Brendon School received new school buildings in 1875 and was acceded to the Grant List in 1876. It closed in 1949.  Brendon School was near Hallslake. Sports days were held in a field called Straypark, between the school and the Church. The field was owned by Hallslake and all the sports equipment was kept there.  The site is shown as a clear plot
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560. Sheet 3NW and SW.
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <7> SEM7966 Monograph: Sellman, R.R.. 1967. Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century. David and Charles Limited. 51, 54, 160.
- <8> SEM7542 Monograph: Ramsay, D.. 2009. Unforgotten Exmoor: Volume 1. Rare Books and Berry. 1. 44, 54.
- <9> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7487 4760 (16m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31073
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/167
Record last edited
Feb 5 2018 10:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.