MDE21043 - Tuckingmill, Milltown (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Tucking Mill' shown on the six inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The mill is also depicted and labelled on the six inch 1963 map.  Milltown, Martinhoe tucking mill. [3,4] SS 6555 4756. A Tucking Mill is shown on Donn's Map of 1765  and the buildings are shown and annotated on the 1842 Tithe Map . The present buildings are occupied as a dwelling and no detais of the Tucking Mill were identified. [5-7] The site is labelled "Tuckingmill" on the 2020 MasterMap. The building depicted at SS 6554 4756 is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition map, and also appears to be shown on the Tithe Map (when a further U shaped structure is shown slightly to the north). It is labelled 403 on the Tithe Map, which the Apportionment describes as "Tucking Mill: House Gardens and Buildings", owned by Sir Robert Throckmorton Baronet and occupied by William Thorne. [6,8,9]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 2SW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 56.
- <4> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback. 119.
- <5> SEM7699 Map: Donn, B.. 1765. A Map of the County of Devon.
- <6> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 403.
- <7> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1993.
- <8>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46761 ]
- <9> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6555 4757 (40m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31058
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/76
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11218
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE54
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915492
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 11:42AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.