MDE21017 - Wesleyan Chapel, Lynton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The building is shown as a 'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)' on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] The 1962 six inch map labels the building as a 'Chapel'.  The building still appears to be extant (2013).  Above Blackmore’s Path is a former Weslyan Methodist Chapel dating from c.1860s stone-built and gable fronted with large Gothic window and flanking pinnacles. In 2002 it was disused and categorised as a 'building at risk' by the Conservation Area appraisal.  The site appears to have been occupied by a building extending from the adjacent property to the east on the Lynton Tithe Map. 
- --- SEM8259 Serial: Devon Buildings Group. 2013. Devon Buildings Group: Newsletter number 31. 14-5.
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <5> SEM6953 Report: Fisher, J.. 2002. Lynton: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 19, 20.
- <6> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7189 4929 (10m by 19m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 29096
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/43
Record last edited
Mar 30 2016 3:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.