MDE20934 - Post-medieval or modern drainage systems on Kentisbury Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
An aerial photograph in the NMR dating to 1979 shows two mounds, at SS 6315 4367 and SS 6319 4366, and an area of apparent small rectangular features. Conceivably a field system, alternatively drainage features.  The field in question lies on northwest facing slopes at 293 metres Ordnance Datum on Kentisbury Down. The down was enclosed in the mid 19th Century and formerly was open moorland [2,3]. No trace of the mounds, nor of the alleged field system could be found. The surviving feature comprise amorphous undulations which represent former drainage operations, spring sapping and possibly tracks onto the down before it was enclosed.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6343:SF1460/213 (7 March 1979)- held by Devon HER. [Mapped features: #44276 Mound 1, ; #44277 Mound 2, ]
- <2> SEM8548 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1848. Kentisbury Down Enclosure Award. Unknown.
- <3> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 April 1993.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 925188, Extant 15 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6317 4366 (40m by 10m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925188 (Pastscape entry: 925188)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21598
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/58
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11653
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SW38
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 925188
Record last edited
Nov 15 2021 10:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.