MDE20932 - Trentishoe Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Trentishoe Mill (disused)' shown on 6 inch 2nd Edition 1905 Ordnance Survey map.  'Trentishoe Mill' shown on 6 inch 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  There are some ruins on this site.  Tattiscombe Mill, Trentishoe. Marked only by a notice board recording 'site of mill'. Levelled in 1973.  The remains of Trentishoe Mill are centred at SS 6345 4646 and are covered in dense vegetation and undergrowth. The remains consist of low walling, some amorphous scarps, and the vestiges of the leat approaching from the south-south-east. The site was apparently bulldozed by the owner at the request of the County Council who considered it unsafe (local information).  The mill is labelled "Trentishoe Corn Mill (Disused)" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The complex is also shown on the Tithe Map for Trentishoe. Three buildings are depicted centred around SS 6346 4646 (labelled 212, together with land to the northeast), with a further square building shown at c. SS 6345 4643 (labelled 247a, within a small parcel of land labelled 247). The Apportionment describes all of these parcels as within Trentishoe Mill (along with others), owned by John Hoody Chichester Esquire, leased by Miss Ann Greek and occupied by Charles Widden. 212 is noted as "House, Gardens Mill etc"; whilst 247a is not recorded, 247 is noted as "The Road Side (Pasture)". The leat is also depicted. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 6NW.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 56.
- <4> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. 65. A5 Paperback. 120.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 July 1993.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7>XY SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 212, 247, 247a. [Mapped feature: #46036 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6341 4636 (216m by 239m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872595 (Pastscape entry: 872595)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21596
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/48
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8995
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW26
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872595
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 12:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.