MDE20916 - Purwell Down (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The Enclosure Award for Purwell Down dates to 1864.  The site is currently mapped at SS 614 465 (imported from Devon HER), which was already shown as enclosed on the Tithe Map for Combe Martin. A large area of commons lies to the southwest, which extends northwest and southeast for some distance. Further confirmation of the location of the down is therefore required. [2,3]
- <1>XY SDE67333 Map: Unknown. 1864. Purwell Down Enclosure Award. [Mapped feature: #33616 ]
- <2> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. 21028; SS64NW/47.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 24 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 614 465 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 21028
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/47
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.