MDE20910 - Medieval Exmoor Forest boundary stone on Twitchen Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Site of boundary stone. Boundary stone marking the western boundary of the Forest of Exmoor. Placed on the parish boundary between Molland and Twitchen parishes.  A report on a survey of the Royal Forest Boundary makes no mention of the stone and it is therefore not clear whether the feature is still extant or has simply been missed from the survey.  GIS point moved from SS 812 326 to SS 81208 32625 based on information provided in  but exact location requires confirmation. 
- <1> SSO1823 Article in serial: Rawle, E.J.. 1894. Final Perambulation of Exmoor Forest. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 40. 171-178. 172-3.
- <2> SEM8167 Report: Bonvoisin, P.. 2013. The boundary of the Royal Forest of Exmoor: An archaeological survey.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 March 2017.
|Grid reference||SS 812 326 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20964
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20965
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/19
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/19/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20911
Record last edited
May 4 2020 9:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.