MDE20903 - Parracombe Gospel Hall (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A rectangular building is depicted at SS 6773 4446, with a further building to the north set at 90 degrees. Neither is labelled.  The buildings had been extended and further structures added by the time the 1963 Ordnance Survey map was surveyed; however, they are still not labelled.  The 25 inch 1975 Ordnance Survey map depicts the property with a small outbuilding to the north. The buildings north of here are in a separate land parcel. The original building is labelled Parracombe Gospel Hall.  The site was visited in 1983. Two small single storey buildings clad with iron sheeting were present and were suggested to be late 19th Century in date.  The 6 inch 1905 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the site as a clear plot.  A building with a larger plan is shown on the 2018 MasterMap data here. The site is now labelled Brimble View.  It is not clear whether the original gospel hall was demolished and rebuilt as a house, or whether the 2018 structure retains the original fabric of the building. 
- <1> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM8571 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1975. 1:2,500 Map, 1975. 1:2,500.
- <4> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit and slide, S Timms, 9 June 1983.
- <5> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 3 December 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 6773 4445 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20771
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/126
Record last edited
Dec 3 2019 2:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.